For a Secure Payment solution we make use of 3D Secure VCS – Virtual Card Service
3D Secure for online shoppers
South African banks and e-commerce merchants are implementing 3D Secure to help protect you, the cardholder, against unauthorised use of your card when shopping online at 3D Secure merchants.
3D Secure allows you to authenticate yourself while making an online payment, therefore minimising the risk of someone else using your card fraudulently.
What is 3D Secure?
- It is also called Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode or Amex Safekey
- It is an authentication service that allows only the cardholder to use the card
- It allows you to enter your previously selected PIN/Password or a One Time PIN therefore helping your bank to know it is you shopping online
- With additional focus on the safety of e-commerce transactions,
- your bank may have already registered you for the service, or
- you may be required to register during your next online purchase.
What can you expect when doing an online 3D Secure purchase?
If you have already registered or have been registered by your bank, you will be prompted with an additional screen requesting a One Time PIN (OTP) or a PIN/Password. OTPs are sent to the cell phone number your bank has on record for you, whilst a PIN or Password is a secret code you have chosen when you registered for 3D Secure or was provided to you by your bank at the time of issuing your card. Simply enter the OTP, PIN or Password in the given space and proceed.
If it is your first time doing an e-commerce transaction, or you are a regular e-commerce user, but have never registered or been registered for the 3D Secure service, you will be prompted with a screen asking you to register for 3D Secure. Please follow the prompts on the screen to register. Remember, it is in your best interest to be safe.
Tips for a good 3D Secure experience
- Ensure you have the card you wish to pay with ready.
- Ensure you have your cell phone with you to receive the One Time PIN (OTP) or you know what your PIN or Password is, depending on what your bank’s authentication method is.
- After entering your PIN/Password, the system may take a couple of seconds to authenticate your PIN/Password. This is normal – do not close the browser.
- If you receive an error message, be sure to read the message on the screen. You may have entered your PIN/Password incorrectly in which case you will be allowed to retry. Although minimal, there may also be other reasons why the transaction failed, in which case we recommend that you follow the instructions on the screen or contact your bank for further assistance.
3D Secure is easy to use and will give you peace of mind to make an online payment. Be safe, be smart!